Friday, May 4, 2012

What do? Goals and more.

This blog is documenting the work that I do for the class Digital Media 12 that is offered at my school. In this final unit assignment we were tasked to create a learning plan for ourselves, in which we choose one or two pieces of software and work through it.

In my case i chose to pick a software that i had great interest in but never dived into, which is the free software Blender. I have had quite a bit of experience with other 3D packages like 3DS max, Unity development kit and Sculptris, but none of these were offered on the Mac computers that i worked on, Blender however can be run on a large variety of computers and has the added benefit of having a very large tutorial community.

At the time i thought it would be easy, learn to do simple box modeling of a character, which i have done in 3ds max numerous times, then move on to unwrapping the UV map of the simple model which i have not done before, next step being the actual texturing of the model in Photoshop and then back into Blender for the rendering.

I have also found that i work quite well with tutorials and "self" learning software on the internet, Photoshop, 3DS max and Flash to a certain extent were all learned for me in this way so I thought blender would be no different.

Subsequent posts will be about what I learn from the days work, how i thought blender would work, how it actually worked and why the software worked in such a way.

No comments:

Post a Comment